GFS Slide

All privately rented homes should have provision to detect fires and that this should be in good working order. 

Smoke detectors should be provided in rooms which are frequently used by the occupants for general daytime living purposes, and also in every circulation space, such as hallways and landings.  A heat detector should be provided in the kitchen and all alarms should be hard wired and interlinked with at least one on each floor. 

If there is a requirement for a particular house to meet more stringent standards, then a fire alarm system should be installed in accordance with the recommendations contained in BS5839 Part 6 and the landlord should ensure the alarm is regularly maintained in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations.

Local authorities should be consulted prior to any work being undertaken as a building warrant may be required.


If you have a house in multiple occupation (HMO), i.e.

  • A house occupied by three or more persons from three or more families; and occupied by them as their only or main residence or
  • Where toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities are shared

then whether you are a private owner or a registered social landlord, if you have an HMO property then you must have a licence from the local authority where the property is situated.  HMO's are also covered by fire safety legislation

The local authority sets the standards required and also sets the fees charged for a licence application.

For further help or information please contact GFS today 01224 744446.